Thursday, February 18, 2010

CNY home visiting XD

Ah, school's starting tomorrow. Not really looking forward to school actually. It's pretty boring and stupid going to school. Wish the CNY hols could be longer lol.

Anyway I went to Taiping with my family on the 4th day of CNY. Went to visit my mom's cousin. His house was 200 steps away from the Tesco in Taiping lol (that's how he described the distance, 200 steps). Well yea, it was very near to Tesco. You can see it once you step out of the house. I was like, wow, a short walk and you get starbucks and McD and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Pretty cool huh? So Hock Gu (Uncle Hock in Hokkien) told us about our relatives around Taiping (It seems that my great grandfather, who was something like the head of the fishermen of Port Weld, was extremely rich and had many wives so there is a chance that almost all the Ooi's in Taiping are my relatives) and his children, his son who is living in KL and his daughter who is living in Australia.

Hock Gu's daughter married a white guy. He says that's a price you have to pay if you send your kids overseas to study. Send them there and they bring a foreign guy/girl back... Then the whole conversation came to multiracial marriages and westerners. It was an extremely uncomfortable conversation, especially when CY prefers whites and latinos to Asians (and she has a crush on a white guy at the moment). Hock Gu advised my sisters against marrying a white guy lol. He said that although the children will be beautiful kids (that's the consolation), the cultural differences would be quite big and it would be a hard life. For instance he said that my cousin (his daughter) was once sick and she rang up her in-laws and they were like, go see a doctor tomorrow and when she moved to another house, those who helped her with the moving were her parents and relatives, not her husband's side. According to Hock Gu, the westerners don't like to "intrude" into the lives of their children once their children gets married, but just like what Hock Gu said, helping them isn't actually intruding, it's actually caring about your family. Enough about caucasians and multiracial marriages already. It's getting revolting just thinking about it. I'm xenophobic anyway.

After all those chatting, went to have lunch at a vegetarian restaurant. The food was okay since I don't fancy all those soy stuff. Give me good ol' greens and legumes anytime. My sister asked Hock Gu to draw out a family tree. But it turned out that my grandmother's family (Hock Gu is my late grandmother's brother's son) was so big that midway through the family tree Hock Gu said it would be easier if he emailed us the family tree. According to him, our family has ties with a gang in Port Weld and Matang (my great grandfather was the head of some gang as well). He said life was hard in Taiping and you had to join a gang in order to survive. So almost everyone in Taiping was somewhat related to a gang (or triad, as CY calls it).

We had to go home at 2pm because my sis had tuition. Well, it was a great day out. Nice to know I got relatives all over Taiping. Hock Gu asked us to contact him if we were going to Taiping for any excursion because he can arrange everything for us lol. Will be looking forward to my next trip there XD

No comments:

Post a Comment