Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Movies and a question that got me thinking hard...

Today I watched “How to Train Your Dragon” at Sunway. I planned to watch it in 3D on Monday but because of the ferry I was late to collect my ticket and my booking expired so I had to watch “Just another Pandora’s Box” because the theater hall was full when I got there. Both movies were great. Well this afternoon just as the movie was coming to an end, Mels texted me and asked me if one could die from chicken pox. Mind her, she’s always going about how she wants to die and how life sucks (To make matters worse, her best friend Ngee May is also the same >.<). Well anyway I can’t say that she’s overreacting, because I’m very much better off than she is. The fact that her mum passed away when she was little and she has a live in aunt (Trust me, I wouldn’t mind if any of my aunts stay under the same roof as me, but somehow every friends I have who live with their aunt have bad experiences) and has this kidney problem which caused her to miss her SPM last year and as a result she has to repeat a year. I’ve never had a life like that before so I won’t comment on it even though she’s a real pessimist. Although I dare say I would fare much better than her if I was put into her shoes (an inflated ego and the reliance on peers for support rather than my family is the secret), you can’t really blame her as she’s probably got her pessimistic and doom-saying attitude after all those hard knocks in her life (Try to beat that or stop acting like a loser KC). As for her friend Ngee May, I don’t know so I won’t comment. She might actually have a worse life than I do anyway.

Well anyway, she asked me if chicken pox could kill someone if it went untreated. I thought she had a friend with chicken pox and wanted to catch it so she could die. So I told her that it can kill. It was suppose to be a joke at first, but after hitting the send button, it suddenly hit me. Can it really kill someone? Honestly, that simple (some would call it stupid and obvious) question, it actually fired up my brain cells and I started to think. Was it really possible? I’m going to post it in a separate post because it’s too long. It might be a bit controversial though. But still it’s logical, although unnecessary.

Side note: KC likes to brand himself as a thinker and say that I’d never have the mind of a thinker but I realized that he’s actually an Aristotelian; someone who explains about a certain phenomena based on thought alone, without any proper research and solid evidence, and forms various hypothesizes. In contrast, I am someone who tries to explain something based on theories proven by others. Therefore in a way, the both of us are thinkers, except that he thinks of what might be possible, while I think of what is possible. Well you can’t blame him, given his limited knowledge on science. Well, he’s not totally hopeless in science (he has an interest in physics and astronomy and is good in mechanical stuff. Betcha he can build a robot if you give him the resources), but he’s more arts oriented (note his unlimited imagination. He is probably a male version of Alice and has his own wonderland) and due to his lack in knowledge in other parts of science except for physics and astronomy, he often has to think of imaginary hypothesis to explain any simple phenomena, like if he sees lights in the sky he’ll say it’s a UFO instead of an airplane (okay, that’s exaggerating, but you get the picture). He’ll definitely kill all his patients if he was a doctor lol. But he’ll do well as a researcher if he can get real results to back his hypothesizes, that is.

So it turns out Mels has this infection with red spots all over her and some breathing problems. Don’t really know what it is though, but it sure isn’t AIDS anything chronic and incurable. There’s a very tiny chance that it might be allergy though. Whatever it is, I hope it’s not life threatening (I doubt it is, but who knows since I didn’t do an actual diagnosis of her).

No comments:

Post a Comment